Complete Withdraw from New River Community and Technical College

Withdrawing From the College

Any student whose credit hours drop to "0" or who wishes to leave New River CTC must complete a Request for Withdrawal Form. These forms are only located on campus. The required signatures must be obtained by the student.

Students who officially withdraw from all courses for which they have registered during a semester in the academic year will be eligible for a full refund if they withdraw prior to the start of the semester or prior to the first day of class with a delayed start. It is important to withdraw before the semester begins if you change your mind about taking courses for a particular semester. Students are responsible for adhering to deadlines, available in the academic calendar.


Students who officially withdraw from all courses after the "full refund " period described above shall be eligible to receive a refund of regular tuition and fees in accordance with the schedule below. Fees are not refundable.

 Should the percentage of calculation identify a particular day, the entire day will be included in the higher refund period. All refunds are to be calculated from the first day of classes of a given semester or term. Every student who registers incurs a financial obligation to the College. Exceptions to this policy resulting from extenuating circumstances must be approved by the Registrar or designee before a refund may be processed.

Please note that being eligible for a refund does not mean a refund in the form of a check sent to the student - it is the amount of tuition that is removed from the overall bill. Financial Aid awards are adjusted accordingly with the refund schedule. New River CTC does not process partial refunds for withdrawing from individual courses.

Withdrawing from the college may cause a balance owed from the student to the College and the student is responsible for paying this balance.


Return of Title IV Financial Aid

Any student recieving Title IV financial aid who withdraws during the refund period listed above are subject to having all or a portion of their financial aid adjusted. This may lead to a student owing a balance to the institution and the student is responsible for the balance on their account.

Not attending classes in which you are registered can have negative academic and financial consequences and may lead to you being administratively withdrawn from the course(s.) Financial Aid recipients who fail to withdraw before 60% of the semester has been completed or choose not to attend courses may be required to repay a portion of the federal aid received. Repayments are based on the number of days a student has been enrolled in classes.

Refund Schedule



Fall 2017 Refund Schedule
(August 21, 2017-December 8, 2017)

100% Prior to the start of the semester (Before August 21, 2017)
90% August 21, 2017 - August 30, 2017
70% August 31, 2017 - September 21, 2017
50% September 22, 2017 - October 13, 2017
40%* October 14, 2017 - October 25, 2017 (*Title IV Financial Aid Recipients Only)



Winter/Intercession 2017 Refund Schedule
(December 18, 2017-January 12, 2018)

100% Prior to the start of the semester (Before December 18, 2017)
90% December 18, 2017 - December 19, 2017
70% December 20, 2017 - December 22, 2017
50% December 23, 2017 - December 27, 2017


Spring 2018 Refund Schedule
(January 16, 2018-May 4, 2018)

100% Prior to the start of the semester (Before January 16, 2018)
90% January 16, 2018 - January 26, 2018
70% January 27, 2018 - February 16, 2018
50% February 17, 2018 - March 10, 2018
40%* March 11, 2018 - March 20, 2018 (*Title IV Financial Aid Recipients Only)






Career Services

The mission of Career Services at New River Community and Technical College is to empower students/alumni to identify and actualize their career goals. In partnership with staff, faculty and employers, Career Services facilitates the career development process by providing career advising/counseling, career information, employment services, further educational planning and experiential education.  These services are provided through the Student Success Center on each campus.

Programs and Services Provided by the Educational Counselors

  • Individual career advising including career assessments, resume writing and interview preparation
  • Access to occupation information including job growth, salary and education requirements
  • Job referrals to individuals that register with Career Services
  • Workshops and class presentations on a variety of career related topics

Job Search Prep

Career Services Guide – The Career Services Guide is a comprehensive handbook to the Office of Career Services. Inside the guide you will find information about online services provided by the college as well as tips on resumes, cover letters, interviewing, and much more. Printed copies are available at the Career Services office or you may view the Digital Version Here

Resume Writing Guide—Tips on selecting a resume style, formatting, showcasing your education/skills and much more!

Ace Your Interview—Tips on preparing for your interview. This includes what to wear, types of interviews, possible questions, and how to follow-up after the interview!

Career Planning and Job Search Services

Career Coach

Discover majors and in-demand careers and education based on your interests.

  • Take Career Assessment
  • Browse Careers
  • Browse Programs
  • Build your Resume
  • Veterans can find civilian careers related to their military occupation

By using the free career resources cfwv offers, you can search for careers using tools such as salaries and career clusters or look for specific careers.Need a resume? No problem! You can create resumes and thank-you letters, polish your interview skills and get help finding jobs in your area. Free resources you will find are:

  • Interest Profiler
  • Career Plan Builder
  • Career Finder
  • Resume Builder


Workforce WV-- Search for open positions and career related information.

Glassdoor-- Check out Glassdoor's list of the 25 Highest Rated Companies for Internships and more.

LinkedIn Jobs-- Leverage the world's largest professional network to connect with opportunity. 


Employer Information—Posting Jobs for New River Students and Alumni, send a copy of the job announcement toThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Student Records Services

The forms linked below are used by the Registrar’s office to keep student academic files current and up to date.

Academic Forgiveness Form

Application for Graduation or Skill Set Certificate

Change Advisor and Curriculum (Change of Major)

Change of Name/Address/Campus

Complete Withdraw

FERPA Waiver (permission to release information to third parties)

Transient Permission Form

Transcript Request

Verification of Enrollment

Registration Form (save to desktop)

Replacement Diploma



Faculty Forms (Intranet login required.) 

These include:

Change of Grade

Course Substitution

Direct Independent Study

Prior Learning Assessment Application


Consumer Information


The New River Community and Technical College information presented below is savable, downloadable and printable. Other consumer information is available online and through direct distribution to each individual. You have the right to receive this information in paper copy. Contact the Financial Aid Office to receive paper copies of any of the information listed below.



FAQ-Registrar Office

Frequently Asked Questions


Official Transcripts and Enrollment Verification

How do I have an Official Transcript sent out?

Can I have someone pick up my transcript?

Will the Registrar's office fax or email my transcript?

My Transcript Request was returned to me and I have resolved the issue. Why has my Transcript not been sent out?

How long does it take for a Transcript request to be processed?

Why has my transcript request not been processed?

When will my Verification of Enrollment be processed?



Where can I view my grades?

Can I be given my grades over the Phone?

Why are my grades not showing up?

One of my grades is wrong. What do I do?



When should I apply for Graduation?

What is the difference between Graduation and Commencement?


Other Common Questions

Do I need to fill out a "Complete Withdraw Form"?

What are my responsibilities as a Transient student?

When will my transferred transcripts be evaluated?



 Official Transcripts and Enrollment Verification

How do I request to have an Offical Transcript sent out?

A: First, fill out, print and sign an Official Transcript Request Form. Second, contact the Business Office to pay for the Transcript. Lastly, turn in the request to the Registrar's office. The form provides many options to contact the Business Office and to turn in your form.


Can I have someone pick up my transcript?

A: You can provide someone with written permission to pick up your transcript. Your written permission must be left with the Registrar's Office.


Will the Registrar's Office fax or email my transcript?

A: No.  However, you can print an unofficial copy your transcript. Click here for the links and instructions.


My Transcript Request was returned to me, and I have resolved the issue. Why has my transcript not been sent out?

A: When a Transcript request form is returned to a student, the original form is enclosed with the reason for the return. You must resubmit the form before the Registrar's Office will process the request..


How long does it take for a transcript Request to be processed?

A: On average, and if there is no reason for the request to be returned, it takes the Registrar's Office two business days to send out your request. Depending on the transcript's destination it may take 3 to 7 business days by mail.


Why hasn't my transcript request been processed?

A: There are several reasons that will delay the processing of your transcript request:

    1.  The transcript fee has not been paid- the request can not be processed if the one time $15 (US) fee is not paid

    2.  Has a financial obligation to the college

    3.  Incomplete request form

    4.  Request not signed

    5.  Timing- Transcript request processing is delayed during final grade collection for a term.


When will my Verification of Enrollment be processed?

A: If you are enrolled and marked paid by the Business Office, it takes on average 7 business days for the Registrar's office to process and send out a Verification Form.


Where can I view my grades?

A: You can view your grades for every semester you have attended New River in Self-Service Banner

Why are my grades not showing up?

A: There are numerous reasons for this: a hold on your account, grades have not been turned in, or you have been deleted from the system for non-payment. Please contact the Registrar's Office for help.

One of my grades is wrong, what do I do?

A: Your first step is to contact the Faculty member who taught your course. If that does not resolve the issue, please contact the Registrar's Office.

Can I be given my grades over the phone?

A: No. Student academic records are confidential , and there is no way to verify identity for a phone conversation.  This is in accordance with FERPA, the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act.

Graduation and Commencement


When should I apply for Graduation?

A: You should apply for graduation the semester before you plan to graduate. Click here for a Graduation Application


What is the difference between Graduation and Commencement?

A: Graduation is being awarded a degree or certificate. A student is graduated from the college only after completing all degree or certificate requirements, completing a graduation application, and paying all outstanding fees.

Commencement is the graduation ceremony, held once a year in May. It is a celebration of accomplishments. Students are not required to walk in the commencement ceremony, nor does it guarantee graduation. You may participate in commencement, even if your graduation term is not the same as the one in which the ceremony is held. It is important to make sure you meet with your advisor to confirm all requirements are being met.

Other Common Questions


Do I need to fill out a "Complete Withdraw Form"?

A: If you are withdrawing from all your classes, even if it is before the term starts, you must fill out a "Complete Withdraw Form". You may pick up this form at any of our Campuses.


What are my responsibilities as a Transient Student?

A: If you have been approved to take transient hours from another institution it is your responsibility to send an official transcript to the New River Community and Technical College Registrar’s Office within thirty days of the conclusion of that term. If the transcript is not received, a hold will be placed on your student records. If you change or drop these courses, please notify the New River Registrar’s Office in writing.


When will my Transferred Transcript be evaluated?

A: Once your admission file is complete, it will take on average 3 to 4 weeks to evaluate and enter your transcripts.



NRCTC degree programs opt1

NRCTC facilities plan icon

January 2018
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
 1  2  3  4 

Rely on multiple methods of communication regarding Inclement Weather decisions. The Alert Messaging System is one method (New River CTC’s portal, email & text messaging). Other methods include posting here, on official College social media channels (Facebook and Twitter), campus weather lines & messages sent to local television and radio stations.