Veteran's Benefits

New River wants to take the opportunity to thank you and/ or your family member for serving our country. New River is proud of our veteran students and the children and spouses of veterans. We are appreciative of the honor and dignity in which you served and continue to serve the United States of America.

New River Community and Technical College's mission is to provide high quality, affordable accessible education to our students. We are committed to providing resources and support to veterans as they make the transition from soldier to student.

Military personnel, veterans and their families have a wide range of VA Educational Benefits available to them.

Educational Benefits Available:

Post 9/11 GI Bill: Chapter 33: The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11. 2001, or individuals discharged with service connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible.

Montgomery GI Bill: Chapter 30: Soldiers must have served in the United States Armed Forces for a period of two to four years and have been honorably discharged prior to returning to school.

Montgomery GI Bill: Chapter 1606: Soldiers must have completed basic training and AIT and are now assigned to a reserve and/or WV National Guard unit. Please submit copy of DD214 and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility). The NOBE is available through your commander.

Montgomery GI Bill: Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP): Soldiers called or ordered to active duty in response to war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President of the United States. The new program makes certain that reservists who are activated for 90 days after September 11, 2001, are either eligible for educational benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation: Chapter 31: Disabled veterans must complete an application with a case worker and have a disability rating. The certifying official will receive authorization and certification of entrance or re-entrance into a rehabilitation and certification status.

Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance: Chapter 35: For dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased veterans. Form 22-5490 must be completed and submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once a claim is established, a certificate of eligibility will be issued to the dependent/ spouse which will need to be submitted to the school's certifying official.

The following website developed by the Affordable Colleges Foundation provides additional information regarding several resources for veterans interested in college:

For more information on VA educational benefits or to apply, please visit

Students eligible for veterans benefits should contact the certifying officials listed below to begin the veterans' enrollment process at New River; students should fill out and turn in the Veteran Information Form to the Certifying Offical.

Deena Rodgers, Student Program Advisor, 304-647-6565 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Donna Lewis, Student Services Specialist, 304-647-6566 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.





July 2015
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Thinking about buying your books for fall? Book lists will be available through our online Bookstore starting on Friday, July 17.