Student Orientation


Spring 2015 Online Orientation will be available November 5, 2014. 


Transient, Provisional (current high school students who will remain in high school during the upcoming semester) and Special (Non-degree and Non-certificate seeking) students do not have to complete online orientation.


Future Students

Thank you for your interest in New River! We are proud to provide students in southeastern West Virginia with a  quality, affordable educational option.  With small classes, a caring faculty and staff, and five convenient locations, New River is a great choice  Whether you are pursuing an associate's degree, upgrading your job skills, or taking general education classes that will transfer to a four-year institution,  New River can be your next step to success.

New River serves a nine-county area, including, Fayette, Greenbrier, Mercer, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers and Webster Counties.  A full range of programs and services are offered at the following campuses: Beckley/Raleigh County, Greenbrier Valley (Lewisburg), Mercer County (Princeton), Nicholas County (Summersville).  Technical programs are offered at the Advanced Technology Center in Ghent.

New River is constantly growing, improving and evolving. We invite you to visit or call the campus nearest you to learn more about how we can help prepare you for a bright future.


Enrollment Categories

Degree and Certificate Programs

College Catalog

Course Schedule

Tuition and Fees

General Admission Contact Information







First-Time Freshman

A student who has earned a high school diploma or completed a GED and has never attended college or who has only taken college courses as a high school student for college credit.  A first-time freshman must submit the following before becoming fully admitted to a Certificate or Associate Degree program:

  • An Application for Admission form.
  • A final official high school transcript mailed directly from the high school (a copy is not an official document). The official transcript must include the date of graduation.
  • Submit a copy of General Education Development (GED) test scores.
  • A copy of your ACT, SAT, Compass, or Accuplacer placement test scores. The Accuplacer placement test may be taken at New River by contacting the testing Program Coordinator once you have completed the application process.
  • Official transcripts from all colleges in which coursework was taken while in high school, sent directly from the institution to the local New River campus Office of Admissions.




Special Services

Following is list of services, activities and programs, which serve students at New River Community and Technical College.

Community Services

Community Services encompass the wide range of cultural, economic, environmental, scientific, social, and other activities and programs that involve interaction with individuals, groups, and organizations external to New River Community and Technical College and that contribute to mutual development of the college and the various community parties.  Specifically, this involves partnership activities combining continuing education, workforce development and customized training, and service programs that strengthen the relationship between New River and the constituents that it serves.

New River Community and Technical College provides both occupation-specific continuing education programs that fulfill professional development requirements for working adults as certified through various regulatory agencies and community-based, non-credit programs that are offered primarily for enrichment purposes.

Developmental Courses

The college provides developmental foundation courses in Reading, English, Arithmetic, and Algebra (ENGL 098, ENGL 099, MATH 098, MATH 099) for students scoring below the benchmark scores on ACT, SAT, ASSET, or COMPASS assessment instruments. Successful completion of developmental course(s) is a prerequisite for many college-level courses. Developmental studies courses are not counted toward meeting graduation requirements and are not used in the calculation of the graduation grade point average; however, they are covered by financial aid.

Disability Services

Students with special needs are encouraged to contact the ADA compliance officer or the Student Resource Centers on their campus before the start of the semester and request accommodations. Students with documented disabilities are eligible for ADA accommodations if they meet the conditions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Students must self-identify themselves and provide appropriate written documentation of their disability. Students qualifying for services will work closely with the ADA compliance officer to determine potential accommodations afforded to participate in the academic programs and services. Reasonable modifications in policies, practices, and procedures are effected to assure equal access to individuals with disabilities. The ADA compliance officer will prepare the “Notification of Need for Accommodation” letters for the faculty.

Should a temporary disability occur during the semester, the student must provide reasonable and timely notice of a need for accommodations and services substantiated by appropriate documentation. Information provided to the Office of Disability Services is treated as confidential and is not released to anyone without the student’s prior consent. All inquiries are confidential.

Veteran's Assistance

For further information, please visit Veterans Educational Benefits 

Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment

In cooperation with a local school district, high school students who qualify for college admission may enroll in undergraduate college courses. At the discretion of the high school, the student may be awarded high school credit as well as college credit for successful completion of the college course. 

If college classes are offered at the high school, the school principal or counselor will be able to tell you what courses they are offering as dual credit or for college credit only. Students must be of junior or senior status to enroll. Students are only allowed to register for these classes when a representative from New River registers the class. The date will be announced at the high school in advance, and registration may not take place on the local college campus for these courses.

Current junior or senior high school students may take college courses on our New River College campus with permission and may register on campus when new students are permitted to register for classes.

High School Student (Current or Early Completion)


High School students, to include those who complete graduation requirements early, are not eligible to receive Financial Aid until the Summer semester following graduation on a case by case basis. Students are responsible for all tuition, fees and textbook costs if enrolling prior to this time. High school students may take courses through New River concurrent with their high school courses under the following stipulations each semester:

  • Students must have junior or senior status
  • Must have an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher
  • Students must submit an Application for Admission each term
  • Must complete a Provisional Form prior to registration which includes
  • Recommendation and signature of the high school principal
  • A list of approved courses
  • Signature of parent or legal guardian

High school students must fulfill prerequisites (PR) of the course(s) where applicable. If taking a Math, English, or select courses with prerequisites, a student must submit one of the following: ACT, SAT, Compass or Accuplacer test scores for evaluation. Specific placement scores must be met ahead of time in order to register for Math, English and other select courses. (Refer to Test Scores). See "Course Descriptions" in the College catalog for prerequisite requirements. The Compass placement test may be taken at New River once a student has completed the application process. Please contact the Program Coordinator at the local campus for more information.

A New River high school Provisional Form is available by printing form as a PDF version here, by e-mailing a request to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or calling the Director of Enrollment Services, Tracy Evans, 304-929-5480.

Please call your local campus Office of Admissions or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with general admission questions. If you need specific dual enrollment information, please call the Director of Enrollment Services, Tracy Evans, 304-929-5480.





October 2014
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
 1  2  3  4  5 

2013-14 Annual Report

The 2013-2014 New River CTC Annual Report is now availalbe on the website.  Click here to read it.  Hard copies will be mailed and distributed on the campuses soon.